10.22.2013

Clean Eating

There was a time when I thought people who wrote the below were a little crazy. Now I fall into that group of those that believe in clean eating, and I couldn't feel better about it - literally.

I didn't think I had Celiac Disease, and maybe I am still not on board with the "complete" diagnosis. Like, "Hi, my name is Joellen, and I have Celiac Disease." If you would have asked me what my symptoms were in the past, I think I would have just said that I was fine and in perfect health. But... the problem with that is that I do get canker sores, have brittle nails, experience infertility, flaring acne (still - ugh!), mood swings, brain fog and ADD at times and these symptoms are all listed below... Wait, do I have Celiac Disease?

I thought that everyone dealt with a little hardship here and there with their bodies. I thought I was "unlucky" because I had brittle nails and my friend did not. Or that ADHD ran in my family so maybe that was it? And my "stupid" oily skin keeps me broken out... maybe gluten intolerance isn't just a made up notion by rich white people who have nothing better to complain about afterall? Maybe there is some truth to it!


It all started when I read the book Clean by Dr. Alejandro Junger. It is about toxins in our food and environment and how they can affect your body. These ideas along with an elimination diet program described in the book show how following the Clean Program lets your own body heal itself - I highly recommend it.

During my other research, more and more evidence of gluten intolerance and toxins in general has made me increasingly aware that is it not only gluten that I should remove from my diet, but Dairy, Soy, and all things processed as well. Basically, the less it looks like what it originates from, the less you should eat it.

This did NOT come easy at first.

Cheese was my favorite food. I drank about 3 cups of milk every morning. I thought if I saw the word "soy" then that meant it was healthy and I could eat it. I thought red meat was bad and diet soda was OK. I thought that water out of the tap was good enough for me, that deodorant was perfectly safe, never thought about anything relating to my shampoo and soap other than how it smelled... Now I am getting off track... Although toxins are everywhere (deodorant has been linked to breast cancer!), this post is going to concentrate on the consumables.

This.
Not that.

This.
Not that.

This - reverse osmosis water.
Not that.
People seem to be so consumed with low fat, diet, low calorie, low carb, etc. (and I know that you've heard this before), but that is NOT the way to go. I am not a doctor, nor am I a health coach or nutritionist, but I am just choosing things for my body that HAVE to make sense. They just have to. 

As in nothing genetically modified. No hormones. As many organic vegetables as I can get my hands on. Grass fed meat. All things coconut (water, oil, milk). No wheat (gluten) products (which is both easier than you think, yet harder to resist - like pizza!). I've started juicing, and its delicious. I drink smoothies for breakfast, which are delicious. Potatoes are OK! Spaghetti with meatballs is not. Gluten free vodka (Tito's) is OK. Beer is not. [sad face] But cheer up because an occasional Angry Orchard is OK. :)

Bonus is: I feel better. I don't drink coffee anymore, yet I have more energy. My acne is clearing. My brain fog is lifting. My mood is better. I am starting to realize that eating this way is not a sacrifice, it is a blessing. I don't want to feel like a sluggish lump on a log, and I no longer have to... and this is only after a month!

My advice is to look into it. It is not for everyone, but my hope is that it really is for everyone and that we will be able to indicate to the food industry what we want to eat, instead of the other way around.



No comments:

Post a Comment

From Charleston, South Carolina to your computer. I hope you enjoy. :)