7.05.2012

Patriotic American Flag Trifle



I had some fun this year with my 4th of July contribution! Per the previous post I wanted to make a patriotic dessert of some kind, just didn't know which one! When I found this regular trifle dish at Walmart for 6 bucks, I knew which one it was going to be. :)

Here's what you need:
2 white cake mixes
2 pints strawberries (washed and sliced into half inch pieces)
1 pint blueberries (washed and completely de-stemmed)
2 tubs cream cheese icing

The degree of difficulty on this isn't too bad, it is just a little time consuming. This is the main reason why I went with pre-made cake mixes and frosting... I knew the work was going to surface when I put the thing together!

I baked the cake mixes in a few pans making the cake a little thinner than normal. Keep a good watch on the cake as there is no recommended "cook time" for this. I started with 18 minutes and just checked it every couple after that until it looked golden brown on top and my toothpick came out clean.

Let the cake cool and cut your circle to fit the trifle dish. I then cut off the top and bottom of the cake just so it would be pure white and not golden (this may have been a bit OCD).

Then, you layer the ingredients in the trifle:

frosting stars
blueberries
frosting
cake
strawberries
frosting
cake
strawberries
frosting
cake

I laid each blueberry individually which is also super OCD, but I can admit that. ;)

Tip: Keep the pretty strawberries to the outside where you can see them through the dish.


No comments:

Post a Comment

From Charleston, South Carolina to your computer. I hope you enjoy. :)